What can we add to our calendar for hearing loss? Here are some options. Which ones will you choose?
1. Get your hearing tested. Are you still wondering if you have hearing loss? Call and make an appointment with an audiologist right now.
2. Wear your hearing aids consistently. Resolve to keep them in, even when it gets challenging. You have to give your brain time to adapt to the new level of sound. Put a daily reminder in your phone to prompt you to put them in and keep them in.
3. Advocate for yourself. Mention your hearing loss every time you make a restaurant reservation. Utilize caption readers at the movies. Make these things a habit so they become routine.
4. Help others with hearing loss. Find hearing loss advocacy efforts in your community. Is there a locally based non-profit? A school for the deaf? Reach out to a local house of worship or community theater about looping or captioning options. Make an appointment to help out.
5. Tell people about your hearing loss. Send an email to friends or share an informative hearing loss post on Facebook. Get the word out so people can support your journey. Or tell one person or group of people a month. Put a notation on your calendar so you don’t forget.